Tomorrow, Tuesday, January 26th, 2015, is a snow day! Please stay warm, dry, and safe!
Be sure to check 311 for any further updates.
As for the reading log, your child could always use the resources on raz-kids as a text. Here's how you can log into Raz-Kids.
Logging into Raz-Kids
1. Go to Raz-Kids and log-in
2. Enter the teacher username: sliang1
3. Click on your child's name (I'll be honest, I have no idea how Raz-Kids decided to organize the students)
4. Enter your student password: (Child's birthday month)(Child's birth date)
For example, my birthday is December 23rd. My password would be December23. There are no spaces.
I just updated levels to reflect your child's most recent independent reading level. Keep in mind there are many students who read on their level with few errors. The important part is to have conversations with your child. Consider:
- What is your favorite part? Why do you like that part?
"I like this part with the kittens because kittens are cute" is not acceptable.
Try, "I like this part with the kittens that are playing with yarn because I can see that they are really happy. I like to do things that make me happy, too!"
- What does this make you think of? What does it remind you of? (Students should be making connections.)
"When Taylor was upset about losing her teddy bear, it reminded me about the time I lost my library book and it made me really upset. I was upset, like Taylor, because I lost something that was important to me."
- How does the character feel? When was there a time you felt like that? (This is also making connections.)
"I felt excited when I got to open up the present because I didn't know what was inside and it was a surprise. This is just like when Lola got a new book and she was excited about reading a new story. Getting surprises are fun!"
Enjoy your snow day, everyone! Stay warm and dry!